Using a hire car is a great way to get around when you're on holiday, but there are a few things you need to know when making your booking. There are many car hire companies to choose from, so you may wish to look around before you decide which one to go with.
Booking your hire car online makes the whole process easy, and you may find that it costs less too. You can book at any time and can look through the website to see what types of hire car are available. The hire car company's site will also provide additional information about the car hire process, including any restrictions that may be imposed. It's a good idea to pick up your hire car from the airport, as you can just load your bags straight into it and drive to your hotel, and it's simple to return the hire car before you fly home.
Here are some things to consider when booking a hire car online:
- Car hire firms have age restrictions in place. If you are a young driver or wish to share the driving with someone who is young, you'll need to look into this. The minimum age limits vary from as young as 18 up to 25, depending on the company and the destination. Sometimes young drivers must pay a supplement.
- If you plan to share the driving with other people, they will also need to have their documents with them. Their details must be given to the car hire firm, and they must comply with all restrictions and regulations.
- You can't usually pay for your hire car in cash, so make sure the main driver has a valid credit card.
- Always book your hire car well in advance.
- If you intend to cross state lines or national borders, make sure that your car hire agreement allows this.
- Check that the car hire company allows you unlimited mileage if you plan to take long distance trips.
- If you intend to pick up the hire car at one destination and drop it off at another, be aware that this may incur an extra charge. Not all car hire companies offer this service, so ensure that it is allowed before making your plans.
- Book any necessary extras when booking your hire car. For ideas about the kind of extras that are available when hiring a car, check out our hire car extras page.
- Always look at the total cost of everything before confirming your booking, as you may find you haven't taken into account charges that are added to the basic rate. There is also the cost of insurance to consider.
- For more tips about things to consider before hiring a car, have a look at our pages about the types of hire car that you can book and our checklist for before you leave home.