Things to Remember During Your Trip
Once you have reached your destination and are about to pick up your hire car, there are things that you'll need to check. There are also other points to bear in mind to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable journey. If you are unsure about anything, you should ask at the pick up desk before leaving in your hire car.
Here are some tips about things to check when you're starting off, to make sure you have a great hire car holiday:
- Make sure that the hire car that you're given is exactly what you have booked.
- Check the condition of the hire car allocated to you before you set off. If there is anything wrong with it, make sure that this is recorded on the paperwork. You don't want to be blamed for a previous driver's bumps or mistreatment of the vehicle.
- If you have booked any extras, check that the car has them. Also, if the hire car includes child seats, check that they have been fitted correctly (note: many companies will ask that you fit the child seats).
- Before you leave in your hire car, make sure that you know how to work the air conditioning, lights and other controls. You should also know how to open the bonnet and remove the petrol cap.
- Check that the amount of petrol in the tank corresponds to the amount recorded on the car hire paperwork, and find out what is expected of you in terms of filling up the hire car upon its return.
- Make sure you know the car hire company's procedures in relation to accidents and incidents involving the hire car. If you haven't read this information before you leave, ask at the pick up desk. Keep any relevant contact numbers safe.
- When collecting your hire car, it's also worth asking for any relevant driving tips, in case you missed anything while researching the local driving laws. Also, ask what kind of fuel the car takes.
- If you aren't sure which documentation you should carry, ask at the car hire desk, where the staff will be happy to help.
- Ask for two keys if possible; that way you always have a spare just in case.
- When setting out in your hire car, make sure that you know your route before you start. Take a few minutes the night before to study an up-to-date map and plot your course. This will save time and help you to avoid getting lost.
- Even if you have a map, it's worth asking for directions to your hotel at the pick up desk , as the staff may know a better route or be able to tell you how to avoid rush hour traffic. This is especially handy if it is dark when you arrive. Better still, why not rent a portable sat-nav unit like Hertz Neverlost.
- If you feel tired or unwell, do not try to drive. Try and make alternative travel arrangements to get to your end destination you can always defer the start of your rental.
- If you have a long trip from the car hire pick up location to your destination, make sure you have enough fuel in the tank for your journey. If not, fill up along the way, but be aware that prices may be higher near the airport.
- Think about where you are heading before you make the trip. Take anything that you and your passengers will need in order to make the journey in your hire car comfortable and easy. Remember to take water with you if it is hot or if you are going to be travelling in the desert. For tips on driving your hire car in the desert, check out desert driving page.
- Wear comfortable clothing for long distance trips and remember to take regular breaks. For tips on taking long journeys in your hire car, check out our long driving tours page.
- Check opening hours and parking availability for the attractions that you'll be visiting. If they are major tourist destinations, your hotel will be able to provide this information. You don't want to waste valuable time driving somewhere to find that it's closed.
- Some countries have toll roads, so keep some money to hand to pay the fees quickly. The same goes for parking meters.
- Make sure you understand the road markings and signs in the area where you park your hire car, as a ticket can put a dampener on the day's enjoyment. If you aren't sure, either ask someone or don't park up. In some countries, it's illegal to park against the traffic, so make sure that your hire car is facing the right way. Also be aware that in some countries the police impose on the spot fines, so be careful and don't break any laws.
- Remember to drive on the correct side of the road.
- Always adhere to your destination's seat belt and child restraint laws.
- When filling up with fuel, check that you're using the correct type for the hire car and remember that, in some countries (such as the USA), self-service stations expect you to pay before you fill up.
- Keep a pair of sunglasses in your hire car so that you can find them easily if necessary. For tips on driving in warm weather, check out our driving in the sun page.
- Always stick to the speed limits and drive safely.
- If you experience trouble, call for assistance and stay in your hire car with the doors locked. Remember to use your hazard lights. For more information on what to do in these circumstances, check out our breakdown and accidents page.
- Never give a lift to anyone that you don't know.
- Remember, only those who are named on the Rental Agreement can drive the car.
- If you want to extend your rental, or change any aspect of the rental, then contact your renting branch.