When you hire a vehicle in a different country, you need to know all about refuelling and the rules regarding the return of your hire car.
Here are some tips on refuelling your hire car:
- Before filling up your hire car, make sure that you know which type of fuel you need to use. It's a good idea to check with your car hire representative at the pick up desk. For more tips on things to ask about when collecting your hire car, take a look at our checklist for during your trip. The main fuel options will be unleaded or diesel, but in some locations you will also find leaded petrol and LPG, so it's important to use the correct one for your hire car. If you put the wrong fuel in your car, you will be liable for repair costs.
- Make sure that you know how to open the fuel tank. Some cars may have a lever to pull, and you will need to know where this is. Again this is something you can ask about at the car hire company before leaving in your hire car. Always remember to replace the cap securely before driving off.
- Make a note of which side of the hire car the petrol cap is on, so you won't need to stretch the hose across the car to fill up.
- In some places, you have to pay for your fuel before you fill up your hire car. If you are paying by card, remember that some card-equipped self-service pumps may not take the card you have so check before filling up. It's always a good idea to carry enough cash with you to cover the cost of refuelling in case your card isn't accepted.
- If you are going on a long journey, always start out with a full tank and fill up your hire car where you can. On some routes it could be a long time before you come across another service station, especially if you are driving late at night or in a remote country location.
- Prices will differ everywhere, but wherever you are, it always seems to cost more to fill up on motorways or in the vicinity of airports. So, to save money, wait until you are out of the area to refuel. The same applies to filling up your hire car before returning it.
- Car hire companies differ in their policies regarding the refuelling of hire cars before their return. You may need to return the hire car with the same amount of petrol that it had to begin with pay for a full tank before you take the hire car and return it without having to refill it simply pay for the fuel you have used when you return your hire car.