The Ring of Kerry is a 179-km circular route on the Iveragh Peninsula in County Kerry in the southwest of Ireland. Primarily a coastal route, the road winds its way between picturesque lakes, lush waterfalls, stark seascapes and the ruins of ancient cultures that lived on the peninsula thousands of years ago. Although the Ring of Kerry can be completed in a day, the timelessness of the scenery calls out to be explored at length.
Your journey begins and ends in Killarney, which serves as a tourist hub for the Ring of Kerry. Killarney is known for its famous lakes, which can be seen in all their splendour from the Ladies View outside of town. Or, explore Torc Waterfall, a 20-meter waterfall that also offers lake views. Don't miss Ross Castle, a refurbished castle that is open to the public and offers hiking trails and boat excursions.
From Killarney, take N72 and proceed west to Killorglin, a charming town on the River Laune. Every August Killorglin hosts the 400-year-old Puck Fair, the oldest traditional fair in all of Ireland. In Killorglin, you'll meet N70 and continue west to Glenbeigh with its famous Bog Village made up of six traditional, rural Irish dwellings with thatch roofs. Be sure to visit Rossbeigh Beach, one of the most popular stretches of sand in all of Kerry.
As you continue on your journey, you'll be treated to dazzling views of Dingle Bay. Cahersiveen is a harbour town with a beautiful lighthouse. From Cahersiveen, you can embark on a side trip to the fishing village of Portmagee or take the ferry to Valentia Island, which is also accessible by bridge from Portmagee. Valentia Island has surprisingly lush, tropical vegetation fed by the Gulf Stream that warms the tip of the peninsula.
Once you've explored Cahersiveen and its enchanting environs, head south to Waterville, which has, as you might expect, gorgeous seascapes and views of Ballinskelligs Bay. It's also a great place for fishing and golf. As you make your way to Caherdaniel, you'll travel through Coomakista Pass with some of the best views of the Iveragh Peninsula.
In Caherdaniel, be sure to visit the circular stone fort built during the Iron Age. Even more extraordinary, the countryside and surrounding views have remained the same as when Dónall built the fort 2,500 years ago. Also worth a visit is the Derrynane House, the home of Daniel O'Connell, one of Ireland's most important political figures.
From Caherdaniel, head east to Sneem a colourful village whose name means 'knot'. Don't be surprised if you find yourself compelled to explore Sneem's scenic squares and charming lanes. The last stop on the ring is Kenmare, one of Ireland's heritage towns and world renowned for its lace. To return to Killarney, you'll take N71: a long and winding road through Molls Gap, which offers beautiful views of Macgillycuddy's Reeks and the surrounding lakes in Killarney National Park.
Of course, being a circular route, you can travel the Ring of Kerry in either direction, but be advised that the tour buses travel in the direction we've shown here. No matter which way you travel, you'll be treated to some of the most stunning scenery in all of Ireland.
Follow and answer the question to Win:
For your chance to win a free rental day voucher, enter either via Facebook or Twitter.
Comment on our Facebook post with an answer to the following question: Which of these flowers is linked to Ireland?
Don't forget to share our guide with your friends to start planning your trip!
Retweet for a chance to win a free rental day voucher.
The competition start on the 18th of March until the 8thof April 2015, and will be announced on social media. Full terms and conditions can be found below.
Terms and conditions
- The competition is available in the following markets: UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain and Italy and there will be one winner of a free voucher for a rental day in eachmarket
- Free voucher includes the Rental Rate, CDW, TP and Unlimited Mileage for a day's rental. Your rental charges will be adjusted at the rental station on presentation of this voucher
- Prize draw takes place on the 8thApril 2015 and Hertz will make all reasonable attempts to contact the winner. If the winner does not confirm prize acceptance after three (3) days, or if there is insufficient information supplied to contact the winner, the prize will be forfeited
- The promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Voucher applies to Compact car groups and above on Hertz' Daily and Weekly Inclusive' non prepaid retail rates for rentals of 2 days or more. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance
- Voucher can be used at participating locations in Europe, the USA and Canada and may not apply to domestic rentals in certain countries
- Voucher may not be combined with a CDP number and the relevant PC number must be quoted at booking ( EU rentals: 129710, US rentals: 130572)
- Voucher must be surrendered prior to or at end of rental, Hertz will adjust charges and apply the Free Day if this voucher is redeemed as required
- All rentals are subject to Hertz' standard terms and conditions
- The promotion runs from the 18th of March 2015until the 8th of April 2015
- The prize draw is open to persons over the age of 21
- No cash alternative is offered and the prize cannot be sold
- To be eligible for the draw, online customers must enter using the #HertzDrives
- By entering the competition, permission is granted for Hertz Europe to use images uploaded on social media platforms for promotional purposes only
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook and Twitter.
- Hertz reserves the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or revise these terms and conditions at any time withoutgiving prior notice and by continuing to take part in this promotion subsequent to any such revision of these terms and conditions entrants shall be deemed to have been agreed to any such new or amended terms
-PC code can not be used on one way rentals
- Promoter: Hertz Europe Limited, based at Hertz House, 11 Vine Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1QE, United Kingdom.Thispromotion is subject to English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts