From breathtaking mountain passes and unforgettable classical architecture to stunning seascapes and history, the 300-mile Basque Circuit offers a breathtaking range of scenery in both Spain and France that will stay with you long after you’ve returned home.
The Circuit begins in Bilbao in the northeast of Spain, nestles between the Bay of Biscay and the Basque Mountains. Easily accessible from Madrid or Barcelona, it is the perfect jumping off point for your journey. It is also home to the iconic Guggenheim modern art museum, the remarkable Zubizuri Bridge and the gorgeous Basilica of Begoña. So there’s plenty to see before you even start heading south.
Travelling along the N-622 through the spectacular mountain pass at Vitoria-Gasteiz once described as Basque Country’s “forgotten gem” and the Spanish Gastronomy Capital 2014 where you’ll also find a bustling plaza and cathedral. The Circuit then turns east along the A1 towards Pamplona, the city made famous for the controversial running of the bulls. The fiesta of San Fermin is celebrated every year between the 6th and 14th of July where the bulls are led by runners through the streets of the old quarter as far as the bull ring. From Pamplona the N-135 is your gateway to the historic Roncesvalles pass, the site where Visigoth raiders ambushed and slaughtered the Franks in the eight century, though the beautiful Pyrenees Mountains into France. The roads become much challenging now, but the views are astonishing making all the effort worthwhile!
Next the D918 provides you with lush scenery of coastal France as you make your way into the stylish playground city of Biarritz. With its sparkling beaches and glittering casinos it is the perfect place to pause and unwind, until it is time to head back to Bilbao via the coastal route. But the fabulous experience’s not over yet. Here you can enjoy the stunning Spanish coast including the panoramic splendor of the Bay of La Concha. Before completing your journey, be sure to savor San Sebastian one of Spain’s foremost tourist destinations. Described as “cool, svelte and flirtatious by night,” and “charming and well-mannered by day”.
Remember, there is no “right” way to complete the Basque Circuit. If time allows, take the less-traveled roads into the mountains for even more scenic views, great driving and plenty of fresh mountain air. No matter which route you choose, you’re sure to return from your adventure invigorated, refreshed and wanting to explore more of Europe’s iconic drives.
Follow and answer the question to Win:
For your chance to win a free rental day voucher, enter either via Facebook or Twitter.
Comment on our Facebook post with an answer to the following question: What is your favourite city on the Basque Circuit?
b. Vitoria Gasteiz
Don’t forget to share our guide with your friends to start planning your trip!
Retweet for a chance to win a free rental day voucher.
The competition start on the 21st of October until the 04th of November 2014, and will be announced on social media. Full terms and conditions can be found below.
Terms and conditions
- The competition is available in the following markets: UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain and Italy and there will be one winner of a free voucher for a rental day in each market
- Free voucher includes the Rental Rate, CDW, TP and Unlimited Mileage for a day’s rental. Your rental charges will be adjusted at the rental station on presentation of this voucher
- Prize draw takes place on the 4th November and Hertz will make all reasonable attempts to contact the winner. If the winner does not confirm prize acceptance after three (3) days, or if there is insufficient information supplied to contact the winner, the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be drawn
- The promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Voucher applies to Compact car groups and above on Hertz’ Daily and Weekly Inclusive’ non prepaid retail rates for rentals of 2 days or more. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance
- Voucher can be used at participating locations in Europe, the USA and Canada and may not apply to domestic rentals in certain countries
- Voucher may not be combined with a CDP number and the relevant PC number must be quoted at booking ( EU rentals: 129710, US rentals: 130572)
- Voucher must be surrendered prior to or at end of rental, Hertz will adjust charges and apply the Free Day if this voucher is redeemed as required
- All rentals are subject to Hertz’ standard terms and conditions
- The promotion runs from 21st October until 4th November
- The prize draw is open to persons over the age of 21
- No cash alternative is offered and the prize cannot be sold
- To be eligible for the draw, online customers must enter using the #HertzDrives
- By entering the competition, permission is granted for Hertz Europe to use images uploaded on social media platforms for promotional purposes only
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook and Twitter.
- Hertz reserves the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or revise these terms and conditions at any time without giving prior notice and by continuing to take part in this promotion subsequent to any such revision of these terms and conditions entrants shall be deemed to have been agreed to any such new or amended terms
- Promoter: Hertz Europe Limited, based at Hertz House, 11 Vine Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1QE, United Kingdom. This promotion is subject to English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts