Savour all southwest France has to offer on a delightful drive through the world’s premier wine region. Pair your journey with deluxe hotel accommodations at Relais & Chateaux throughout the region for an unforgettable getaway. The Dordogne Valley takes its name from the Dordogne River that runs between the Pyrenees and the Loire Valley. Your journey begins in Bordeaux, a place committed to eating and drinking well. Stroll some of the most elegant streets in all of France and sample the city’s exquisite cuisine. There’s never a bad time to visit Bordeaux!
For your next stop head east out of the city along D936 and follow the route of Dordogne to Bergerac, which offers the finest wines in the Bordeaux region. You’ll find a tobacco museum where smoking is encouraged and two statues of the town’s most famous citizen – Cyrano de Bergerac. Although he is the subject of a famous play of the same name, the real Cyrano never lived here.
Approximately 20 miles past Bergerac, in the village of Trémolat, sits Le Vieux Logis, a hotel that encapsulates the charms of southwest France so well that the famous American author Henry Miller once spent a month here sampling the local wines and drawing inspiration for his works. When you’ve had your fill, head north on D704 to Sarlat-la-Canéda, a medieval town full of old-world charm. The sandstone buildings catch the sunlight at dusk and dawn, dappling the alleys, streets and squares with buttery light.
Continue your journey west on D6089 to Perigueux, a town located on the banks of the Isle River. Its location has made it an important trading center for thousands of years, and evidence of its evolution through the ages can be found in the remains of the Roman amphitheater, the Chateau Barrière from the Middle Ages, and the Saint-Etienne church built in the 16th century.
North of Perigueux lies Brantôme-en-Périgord, home to Moulin de l’Abbaye, a restored mill in a romantic setting renovated to the highest standards. The hotel offers views of a medieval tower, a Renaissance pavilion, and the famous abbey founded by Charlemagne. The rooms and lounges are elegant and inviting, and the dining room opens onto a shady terrace overlooking the house where the famous Abbot of Brantôme once lived.
Proceed west on D6089 to the town Saint-Émilion just a few miles north of the Dordogne River. Renowned as much for its beautiful buildings and scenery as for its wine, the medieval village is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Of course, wine enthusiasts from around the world will recognize the name Saint-Émilion, and the Hostellerie de Plaisance offers a relaxed retreat in which to enjoy both views of the vineyards and wines from the grapes that were harvested there. After a night of extraordinary comfort you’ll be ready to return to the city of Bordeaux and on to your next adventure!
Follow and answer the question to Win:
For your chance to win a free rental day voucher, enter either via Facebook or Twitter.
Comment on our Facebook post with an answer to the following question: What is your favourite city on the Dordogne Valley?
- Sarlat la Caneda
- Saint Emilion
Don’t forget to share our guide with your friends to start planning your trip!
Retweet for a chance to win a free rental day voucher.
The competition start on the 18th of November until the 02nd of December 2014, and will be announced on social media. Full terms and conditions can be found below.
Terms and conditions
- The competition is available in the following markets: UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain and Italy and there will be one winner of a free voucher for a rental day in each market
- Free voucher includes the Rental Rate, CDW, TP and Unlimited Mileage for a day’s rental. Your rental charges will be adjusted at the rental station on presentation of this voucher
- Prize draw takes place on the 2nd December and Hertz will make all reasonable attempts to contact the winner. If the winner does not confirm prize acceptance after three (3) days, or if there is insufficient information supplied to contact the winner, the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be drawn
- The promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Voucher applies to Compact car groups and above on Hertz’ Daily and Weekly Inclusive’ non prepaid retail rates for rentals of 2 days or more. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance
- Voucher can be used at participating locations in Europe, the USA and Canada and may not apply to domestic rentals in certain countries
- Voucher may not be combined with a CDP number and the relevant PC number must be quoted at booking ( EU rentals: 129710, US rentals: 130572)
- Voucher must be surrendered prior to or at end of rental, Hertz will adjust charges and apply the Free Day if this voucher is redeemed as required
- All rentals are subject to Hertz’ standard terms and conditions
- The promotion runs from 18th November until 2nd December
- The prize draw is open to persons over the age of 21
- No cash alternative is offered and the prize cannot be sold
- To be eligible for the draw, online customers must enter using the #HertzDrives
- By entering the competition, permission is granted for Hertz Europe to use images uploaded on social media platforms for promotional purposes only
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook and Twitter.
- Hertz reserves the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or revise these terms and conditions at any time without giving prior notice and by continuing to take part in this promotion subsequent to any such revision of these terms and conditions entrants shall be deemed to have been agreed to any such new or amended terms
- Promoter: Hertz Europe Limited, based at Hertz House, 11 Vine Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1QE, United Kingdom. This promotion is subject to English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.